Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A New Attitude

If you have been in touch with us during either of our pregnancies (Baby Oliver, June/July 07 and Sean Brendan), you probably know that I experienced a very strange thing whenever i tried to exercise. Starting when we moved down here (which coincided with baby Oliver), whenever I exercised I broke out into terrible burning hives on my legs. I literally couldn't move sometimes it hurt so much. One time Cody and I got stuck on top of a bridge we were running because I couldn't go any further without crying. If you know me, you know that I am an athlete, so needless to say, this condition has been a little disconcerting. My O.B. had no clue where to start with this and even though it seemed to be related to the pregnancies, she had never heard of it before. Eventually, we stopped looking into it b/c I couldn't exercise due to other pregnancy complications anyway.

Fast forward 2 months after SBG was born. I am super excited to exercise again -- in fact I went for a run about an hour after my 6 week appointment when my Doc told me i could work out again! And guess what... the hives are still there. So, off to the allergist I went about a month ago.

Fortunately and unfortunately, the allergist knew what it was. I had been experiencing some other symptoms that I would never have related to the exercise-hives (migraines, hypotension, asthma), and taken together, they all pointed to exercise-induced anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis as in a life threatening allergic reaction, more commonly associated with bee stings, shell fish and peanuts. For some reason (still unknown), my body is having an anaphylactic reaction to exercise. He said it is extremely rare, only diagnosable since the mid-80's, usually in former elite athletes (i'm not claiming to have been an elite level athlete... just avid!), and the genesis is pretty much unknown. the allergist said the cases he has seen can be fatal, so for now, I am relegated to the sidelines.

So, ever since this diagnosis i have pretty much sulked and felt sorry for myself picturing a sedentary lifestyle for the rest of my days. I couldn't even talk about other people exercising. I have been upset, confused, jealous, annoyed and irritable. to sum it up-- self-pitying.

Until... the other day when i got the most encouraging note from my great friend Jamie. Jamie is also an *avid* athlete and took the time to think about all the reasons we love exercising, and where i can find fulfillment in other areas of my life to fill the desire to exercise. She even helped me think of ways i can stay "in shape" without going for a run.

So, thanks to this wonderfully encouraging and challening note, I am committed to having a new attitude about the whole thing. Starting yesterday i strapped SBG into the Baby Bjorn for some lunges, toe lifts, wall sits, and then started my regimine of sit ups and push ups. None of the exercises were long enough to cause the reaction, and I felt great after all of it! I am going to have to look at this as a challenge now-- i can't do what i love, but i can find other ways to stay fit and keep my energy and attitude up! Cody was very proud (and probably relieved!) of my new attitude, so he snapped some pics of my pseudo-work out with Sean. Please keep us in your prayers-- that the doctors can figure out a way to get me back in the game and that we can keep our patience in the meantime.






4 comments:

B-Mama said...

Oh my goodness!! What an experience so far!! Yet I'm so glad you've gotten to the bottom of the problem so quickly--can you imagine still being without an answer and pushing your body to almost fatal limits?! Crazy!!

I'm so proud of you for your new attitude! You'd never know you weren't working out bc you look awesome. You are just going to have to be the most buff non-cardio girl ever! :) I can only imagine how tough this is--it would be really hard for me too!!

Incidentally, your description of your problem reminded me of an itchy reaction I get to exercising when I first head back into the swing of things. As soon as I'm back in shape (couple of runs in, I'm fine). Perhaps your condition would improve over time? Maybe you're experiencing this during pregnancy bc its the first time in your life you've let your body slow down and become more inactive?? Just some thoughts to ask your doc. Like I said, my reaction always goes away after getting back in better shape. Very unusual... Now you have me thinking!

Hugs and prayers! :)

Erin said...

THanks for the thoughts B! I also thought it was the getting-back-in-shape itch at first (I am familiar with that too!), but it feels about 100x worse than that-- it feels like fire inside my legs! plus, for a long time I could control the reaction by taking an anti-histamine before a work out, so I was able to exercise and get in pretty good shape, at least between my pregnancies. However, after a few months, even the anti-histamine stopped working, and the Allergist warned me that was a dangerous route to go b/c it doesn't stop all the anaphylactic reactions, just the itch (hence leaving me susceptible to a respiratory attack or fainting without the warning sign of the itchy legs). I went over it all with him... it was a very frustrating appointment in some ways b/c the condition seems to be a lot more serious than we thought, but in other ways, it was a refreshing appointment b/c it linked together these other symptoms i was experiencing. Anyway, we are just sort of in limbo right now... i will be tested in a secure exercise environment 6 mo after giving birth (only 3 mo to go!), and then we will reevaluate.

the hardest part by far is that I always had our thanksgiving day 5k in mind as my post-prego fitness goal, and now cody will be running it solo. I have been praying for grace and patience a lot lately. And for acceptance of my new identity as a mom and wife rather than a fit athlete if they do in fact end up to be mutually exclusive. thanks for your thoughts and prayers, it really does help to reach out for support instead of just sulking on my own!

Anonymous said...

Baby Oliver??

meta said...

We're praying for healing for you, Erin!