Sunday, November 22, 2009

A thought about tables.


The kitchen table in our home (see above) is the same kitchen table my parents bought in 1984 (presumably when they moved to Michigan from Connecticut?). It is simple wood with benches instead of chairs around it. It is distinct in its simplicity. My childhood friends can probably picture it perfectly right now. It is and was the site of all our family meals and countless projects over the years (including the one cody and dad are doing in the picture from last year). It is the same table at which I struggled over times-tables in 3rd grade, the same table at which Defne, Megan and I planned our prom dates in high school, the same table at which many long conversations about college, friends, and future families lasted well into the late night/early morning hours after a dip in my mom's hot tub. I have a picture on our current refridgerator of me grumpily and sleepily eating a huge bowl of cereal in my pajamas at that table when I was about 3 or 4 years old. Some things around the kitchen table haven't changed much. But, it dawned on me today as I sat down at the table to prepare some direct examinations for my first trial that the table has come a long way with me from my first times-tables. Just a thought on this Sunday afternoon.

1 comment:

Denise said...

that is so sweet. Now you have a baby instead of being a baby, and now you make cinnamon rolls in addition to cereal.

Also, don't forget the repeatedly unsuccessful singing of "For the Longest Time" with Megan. And using the rolly chairs to get food without standing up.