Wednesday, November 28, 2012

I've created a monster....

$20 and a lifetime of thankful prayers to the person who can get my sweet baby to sleep without a swaddle.  After 4 months of bragging about how great of a sleeper our baby is, its coming back to bite us ("all we need to do is wrap her up in a swaddle, put a paci in, and she goes to sleep by herself!  She'll sleep 12 hours by herself!" Oh how smug we were.)After 5 nights of waking up with her in the middle of the night as she tried to roll over in her swaddle, I am exhausted and getting sick with a cold.  So, I tried to put her down without the swaddle today, which resulted in utter disaster.  I tried just wrapping her bottom, I tried wrapping one arm and letting on free--nothing worked.  At 3:00 this afternoon I gave up and swaddled her completely.  At 3:15 she fell asleep for her 1:00 nap.  I might go crazy.  I nursed her to sleep for one nap and rocked her back to sleep when she woke up.  These are things I NEVER do-- I am usually Babywise-scheduled by the book.  But, I am at the end of my rope.  How do I get her to sleep without a swaddle!?

A play by play of this afternoon's nap which led to my mental-break at which time I called my sister crying:

About 2:00 pm, after nursing and rocking her to sleep.  Finally sleeping, yet her comfort position is with her one little finger inside her paci. 

Hmm, she's asleep, I have a splitting headache.  I guess I will escape while she's sleeping, even though this set up seems a little precarious.  Any sudden jerk could compromise this peaceful scene. 

And at 2:10, said jerk happened.  Screaming chaos ensued. 

At 3:00 I threw in the towel, wrapped her back up and rocked her to sleep.  3:15.  Just in time for the boys to get up.  And, yes, I thought laying her the opposite direction would help her sleep.  Above her head are all manner of things we have used to wrap her up in the last few days (another problem is she's breaking out of her swaddle, which is why she needs to learn how to get back to sleep without it!).  Yes, Cody wrapped her in a bath towel last night at 4:30 a.m. when he gave up.  I guess he threw in the towel too. 

2 comments:

Denise said...

glad you can laugh about it already!

Anonymous said...

Ugh! They will get you early or later!:). My three year old is the one keeping us up now!:). I have no advice other than it is probably a phase. I suspect that once she rolls over on her tummy and likes it, she will feel just as snug as in the swaddle. It seems that everything in the first year is a passing phase. Hopefully you will all be sleeping well again soon!!

Amy B