Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Jamesie's First Day!

After Labor Day Jamesie conquered a huge milestone-- his first day of (pre) school!  Jamesie is going to the school Sean went to for the last two years-- the school with all the work and the playground Jamesie has silently coveted for the last two years.  Now it's all his.....mwha hahahahaha!

His first day went great.  Sean went off to school early (7:15), which left over an hour before it was time to take Jamesie to school.  He spent that hour with shoes and socks on, his lunch bag slung over his shoulder like a satchel to create his "back pack," walking around the house saying "I ready to go now!....I ready for mine...." I could only tell him "not yet, a little while longer" so many times, so I started stalling by changing the baby, looking for my keys, getting him some milk, etc etc.  We finally departed for school and arrived only 5 minutes before the doors opened, so it was a mild success. 

Jamesie did AMAZING upon separation.  Jamesie-No-Cry is his Indian name when he does something brave without crying, like going under the water, falling down or going to pre-school.  Was he ever Jamesie-No-Cry.  He was definitely shy and nervous, but I was so proud of him for pulling it together and choosing to go into the classroom and sit down with the other children.  When I picked him up three hours later, he was sweaty as can be (a good sign of vigorous playing) and reported "my head hot."  When I asked if he made any new friends he said yes, and listed his teacher.  I'm not too concerned since we know most of the families in the class. 

"I three!  I go to school!"

Jamesie and Tay-tee (his word for "Sissy," which she now responds to as much as her real name).

She was so tickled to be part of the boys' going-to-school pictures! And they are both the most loving, inclusive big brothers ever made.


"I have mine pack-pack, I ready to go now!"

School.  Moment of truth....should I stay or should I go?  Should I cry or should I play?  The Youngster chose wisely.  Horse bag gave good counsel, as usual.
 
Part of the Montessori method is to have kids of different ages (3-6) in the same classroom so the Bigs can teach the Littles.  I try to give our guys a lot of freedom in choosing their own activities around here, like in a Montessori classroom, and clearly some of the method has worn off.  Look how I found Mrs. Baby as soon as the big boys were out of the picture.....

I will sit at my desk....

and do a little drawing.  Just like those Big Boys who live here. 

Perhaps I'll write a sonnet while I'm at it.  An Ode to Brothers, whom I miss. 

2 comments:

Denise said...

CUTE kids. But Tay-tee needs a bigger bow.

Peggy said...

They are all so darling, and these daily routines are so entertaining the way you describe them. I'm so glad you are taking time to appreciate every minute.