Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Enabler

So Jamesie has not yet begun to move because of his older brother's loving, albeit enabling, assistance in getting him his toys and entertaining him.  One thing James has been "on time" about is his ability to eat finger foods and develop his pincher grab with thumb and forefinger.  Cheerios have again become a staple in our home, consumed at nearly all waking hours.  Yesterday I found one in the bathtub *after* I had drained the water from the boys' bath.  I have also found whole (uneaten) cheerios in Jamesie's diaper-- I still can't explain it. 

While I am proud of James's independence in eating (he also did a plate full of avocado and banana by himself the other day), Sean seems determined to keep the child in the remedial stages of eating as well as moving.  The other day I asked Sean to give Jamesie some Cheerios to pacify him while I got both of their lunches ready.  It started off OK, but sure enough, leave it to Sean to serve his brother, and enable him out of doing anything for himself:

Sean thinks he's hit the jackpot-- mom just left me with this whole box! Jamesie anxiously waiting for his share...

Just two brothers having lunch together.  Note that there are actually a few cheerios on the tray, in case James wants to feed himself.

But why would he go through the trouble of picking up one of those pesky things when Sean is going to put it right into his hand for him?! James is so happy with this development!  But wait, life is about to get better for him...

No need to develop survival skills such as moving or feeding oneself when you have a brother to do it for you. If only he had a few grapes and a fan. 

4 comments:

vercfamily said...

Very sweet! Augustine is almost walking...but I want him to take his time--I am in no hurry for him to grow up!

Angelica Fahy said...

I love their outfits... so cute! Where do you get James' shoes? John doesn't really wear shoes yet (he can barely keep his socks on, really) but I figure I should start keeping an eye out for some :)

Denise said...

Jamesie's smile is so cute! Sean is a good brother. You can definitely see how sibling dynamics develop, how Sean already likes taking care of people, etc. :)

Denise said...

I really love this post. I keep looking at Jamesie's pleased face. Sean must feel good to know he is actually better at something than someone and can help that person.