Tuesday, May 8, 2012

When you hit survival mode, lower your standards

It's 4:30.  I am trying to cook dinner.  My back pain is slamming, Jamesie had a blow-out diarrhea (tmi?) instead of taking his nap, and Sean is waking up, which is very rarely a nice event.  I usually try to avoid TV for Sean when he is in a bad mood and we try not to let J suck his thumb downstairs.  We usually make them wear clothes.  Today I was struggling against all these bad habits, trying to be disciplined and get through making dinner, but then I thought-- I'm 30 weeks pregnant, the baby is (probably) sick, everyone is crying and I need to make dinner.  Why am I doing this to myself?  So, in went a Thomas DVD, I sat and rocked with Jamesie while he sucked his thumb (and stopped crying),  let him stay in a diaper and sean in his jammie pants, and let the dirty dishes stay in the sink.  It was peaceful.  All I had to do was lower my standards for the day. I might do this more often.  

1 comment:

vercfamily said...

Ah, I can so relate. When Gemma was going through her tummy issues and was super fussy, someone told me, "it's ok if Augustine watches more tv and eats more snacks than usual while you are taking care of the baby." She was right :) Seriously, as hardcore as I was about avoiding it for the first 17 months of Augustine's life {which is when the morning sickness kicked in and the remote became my best friend}, tv really can work magic in those desperate moments! Augustine watches tv everyday now...not a ton, but enough for some quiet time for both of us :) You are doing great. xoox