Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Watch Out Federer...

My mom, a tennis nut, has relentlessly tried my entire life to get me to play tennis. When I was in first grade she put my hair in a ponytail because she said I looked like Jennifer Capriotti. When I was in third grade she bought me adorable tennis outfits to encourage me to like tennis lessons. Throughout high school and college whenever I had an injury or complaint about soccer or volleyball I would hear "you know, if you played tennis...." Even now, while watching Wimbeldon or another grand slam (I do enjoy watching these, likely from the inculcation that July 4th weekend means Wimbeldon finals as a child) she often wistfully thinks out loud, "with your height, you could have had a great serve..." The great dissapointment of my mother's life is that I never took up tennis.

This past weekend in Michigan there was a tennis court around the corner from the house which provided hours of entertainment for our family. One day I noticed a kid-sized tennis raquet by the front door, and by kid-sized, I mean for an 8 or 10 year old. Ever the optimist, my mom explained, "well, I just thought Sean could get used to the feeling of holding a raquet in his hand." Here you go, mom-- you can start the pro-tennis dream all over again for the new generation!:









P.S. Thanks to Paul and Gretchen and Sean's babyfriend Greta for the special birthday puppy-dog shoes, which combine two of Sean's favorite things to talk about: Wuf-Wufs and Sh-s.

2 comments:

Peggy said...

Good job introducing him to tennis. Watching Mom and Dadt! playing tennis probably made a huge impression as well. No cute little tennis skirts for Seannie, though. You'll have to have a little sister so Mama Peggy can buy the tennis skirt for the next generation.

Denise said...

we can get him fancy nike tennis suits like Roger Federer's though.