Thursday, January 17, 2013

Why?

First of all, I can't believe its been over a month since we've been on our blog.  I have SO much updating to do with Christmas pics, but today I have to memorialize an awesome conversation going on between Sean and Jamesie over the last two days.

For about 2 years now Sean has been asking one question over and over, day in and day out.  Why.  Why why why?  An answer does nothing but lead to more of the question....over and over until we put an end to with an exasperated "I really don't know," or "because that's how God made it." 

So Jamesie has been absolutely killing it in speech therapy lately, and using so many new words regularly.  Its great to hear his little voice and great to hear him acting like a 2 year old....which means he has acquired one precious word over the last few days.... WHY!?!?  After 2 years of trying to answer Sean's whys over and over and over, Sean is getting a little taste of his own medicine. 

Yesterday the boys were out of the deck and I could hear this conversation from the kitchen:

Sean: [something bossy to jamesie]
Jamesie: Why?
Sean: because......[something..]
Jamesie: Why?
Sean: because.... [something more...]
Jamesie: Why?
Sean: I don't know why.
Jamesie: Why?
Sean: I don't know why I don't know why.  I just don't know.
Jamesie.  Why?
Sean: I DO NOT KNOW JAMESIE! 
Jamesie: [pause] .... .... Why?
Sean: Jamesie, STOP ASKING WHY! I DON'T KNOW WHY!

I was cracking up listening to Sean handling this. Then, this morning in the car:

Sean: Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle all the...
Jamesie: HEY!
Sean:  No, Jamesie, you don't say Hey there. 
Jamesie: Why?
Sean: Because that's not where it goes in the song. 
Jamesie: Why?
Sean: Because it goes later in the song.
Jamesie: Why?
Sean: I don't know why!
Jamesie: [pause] Why?
Sean: I don't know.  John Denver knows why.   {?}
Sean: Mom, did John Denver write Jingle Bells? 

3 comments:

Landon & Carrie said...

We've been hit by the wonderful world of "Why" to --- which leads me to ---
Why does Sean know who John Denver is? I'm impressed.

Peggy said...

About 18 years ago, I was the Mom thinking that maybe someday my little Erin would be all grown up and getting a taste of her own "why, why, why" medicine herself...what a hoot!

Denise said...

oh my goodness, this is so funny