Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Parenting Lessons from a Monkey

So this might sound like I've gone off the mommy-deep end, but lately when I watch Curious George with Sean in the morning (on PBS at 8:00 a.m.), I've been noticing a lot of great qualities, worthy of me emulating, in the Man in the Yellow Hat.  The Man is always patient with George and his antics, never gets angry, and never resorts to that mean-spirited biting sarcasm so many kids shows are full of these days.  And, even without the sarcasm or rude, degrading comments, he's funny! (A reminder that our humor is not dependent on degrading others-- hint hint, Disney Channel).  The Man's patience and gentleness with George are to be admired, especially as I find myself in more and more situations needing patience and gentleness as we go headfirst into Sean's terrific twos :).  For instance, just the other day at mass as I was enjoying a well prepared homily on my favorite gospel reading I hear Sean's little voice with the impending warning: "Mommy, pee pee!"  Off we ran to the bathroom, in the middle of the homily, only to find when we get there that Sean had "no pee pee" to speak of.  I was a little less than patient at that moment.  Only to find myself further tested at the moment of consecration when I hear the little warning voice, "Mommy, pee pee" yet again.  Off we go (again), and luckily for both of us, this time was not a false alarm. 

I've noticed on Curious George that The Man never assigns blame to George where it is not due, as we all too often do (Sean is just learning about the potty--he doesn't tell me he has to go knowing I'm going to miss my favorite homily or the consecration).  He never saddles George with a vengeful, mean, or disruptive purpose for honest curiousity and good intentions-gone-wrong (Sean doesn't know taking apart ALL of the post-it notes isn't what you're supposed to do with them (after all, they look like stickers, right?)).  If George makes a muk of things in a good natured attempt to learn or help with something, the Man simply steps back, takes a breath, helps George clean up and helps him accomplish whatever he was trying to do, in the right way.  Its funny though, when you watch the show, you can actually see The Man get a little flustered in the height of George's antics, but then make the decision to remain calm, and help George learn something from the situation. 

As Sean and I continue to navigate his spirited and curious personality, I pray for patience and grace to teach him well and love him well, and I might even find myself asking, WWTMITYHD? (get it?).

2 comments:

tinsleigh75 said...

i love this post, erin. insightful and helpful considering i've got a terrific two year old on my hands, too. you sound wise and self-reflective.

Denise said...

I'm just imagining Sean saying that! He is so cute. You guys should dress up as George and MIYH for Halloween.