Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Post-partum update

Annalisa turned 2 weeks old yesterday, which is hard to believe given how fast the last 14 days have flown by.  I said this was definitely my easiest birth-recovery, and I might say that about the post-partum weeks as well.  We have been lucky to have family in town for most of the last 2 weeks, and the following week, leaving us on our own only the last few days.  The grandparents have been taking care of the boys--I have always known how helpful they have been, but it hit home yesterday when I changed Jamesie's diaper and realized I hadn't changed him in 2 weeks!  Thank you diaper changers! All of this help has allowed me to cocoon with our new baby for her first few weeks, as is natural and good-- feeding her, going back to sleep (both of us), feeding her some more, looking at her newness and falling in love with her.

In our immediate family things have been going just as well.  I have the best husband in the world, and given his county-employer, he's had a good chunk of time off to help me with our changing family.  He takes the boys swimming, stays up late to give the girl her last feeding, gets up with her if she fusses after a middle of the night feeding, gets the boys up in the morning while I feed her, or go back to sleep, and is just doting on all of us.  Every so often he'll say something like, "I'm so proud of you," or, "you did so great in her birth.  You're awesome."  Given that I'm definitely a words-of-encouragement kind of person, this is going very far in the morale department for me, and I know he means it too. 

The boys are in love with their sister.  The only problem for us so far is peeling them off of her when she needs to sleep.  They are constantly kissing her, giving her legos, rubbing her head, trying to climb in her Moses basket with her, and trying to hold her.  She is going to be tough.  And a good sleeper--hopefully.

I am tired--exhausted-- but happy.  Cody went into work today for the first time and left me with all three.  I was terrified at first, but I keep reminding myself that lots of people do this--its totally normal to have 3 kids and to be left alone with them.  People survive.  And its going really well today!  Jamesie had speech therapy in the morning (he said "Mommy" and "Daddy" yesteray and tried "Seannie" for the first time, which are HUGE developments!  We are so proud of him for doing so well with his speech), then we went on a short walk--Sean is using his tricycle for walks so Sissy can have his seat in the stroller--his idea--so sweet, then we watched some Olympics, had lunch, and the boys are down for their naps now.  Domestic bliss. 

We bought a new computer the other day and I can't figure out how to upload our pics yet.  As soon as I do I'll add some cute ones of the boys with The Girl. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

so sweet....so happy for all of you.