Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Thank You, Miss Austen

Jamesie turned 15 months last week (and no, he's still not walking-- but he seems to at least be more interested in it these days).  This coincided with my finishing the last Jane Austen novel on my reading list.  While I originally started reading all of Miss Austen's works --6 novels in all (plus Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte) --as something to do during breastfeeding sessions with Jamesie, he finished his nursing tenure before I finished reading.  But, I loved it so much I just kept reading, determined to round out the works.  I didn't win any prizes for speed-- I kept a slow and steady pace (in fact, I really tried to slow down even more on the last one b/c I didn't want it to be over!), but I haven't enjoyed reading like this since probably 11th grade British Literature with Mrs. Volpe. 

I know Jane Austen is super pop-culture lately, but I highly recommend all of her novels for anyone looking for some good literature, good instruction on manners and propriety, and a little intellectual boost to your day. So, with that said, I will offer my very brief run-down of thoughts on her works as a whole: 

Best story: Persuasion: I also thought this was her most "mature" novel-- delving more into the feelings and internal struggles of the characters, rather than merely tracking the social expectations of them.  Who can resist a story of separated love that never dies, and reunites even stronger after years of torment?  Plus, the "old maid" who had "lost her bloom" at the old age of seven-and-twenty is classic.  Maybe it seemed like more "mature" writing because this is her oldest heroine.

Best writing: Pride and Prejudice - there is literally not one place in the entire book where you can "put it down."  I read it in HS and have seen the movies a million times, but reading it again now made me appreciate how masterful the writing is, and how funny it is! I think a lot of the humor and irony is lost in film productions.

Best Characters: Emma: Jane Austen is often praised for her ability to create memorable characters.  I thought Mr. Woodhouse, Emma's father, was the most hilarious character I've read in a long time. Every time he had dialogue I just giggled.  Plus, in case you didn't know, one of the most iconic characters of my adolescence-- Cher from "Clueless"-- is based on Emma Woodhouse (the movie is based on the novel).  Miss Austen gave mid-90's Beverly Hills a lot to work with in her characters.  Brilliant. 

I hate to do this, but just in case you want to skip any, or want to know if you can avoid any of the books--
Worst Novel: Northanger Abby.  It was really immature, focused almost exclusively on the social scene of Bath, and the misunderstandings of the characters amongst themselves, while the reader can figure out said misunderstanding almost instantly.  It was still pretty good, just not my favorite. 

Favorite Movie Character: Edward Ferrars in Sense and Sensibility: I know I'm supposed to say Colin Firth in the BBC production of Pride and Prejudice, but every time I think about Sense and Sensibility I think of young Hugh Grant playing the charmingly bashful Edward Ferrars.  I think it was a perfect role for Hugh Grant, and his role in Bridget Jones' Diary as the modern-day Wyckham (the scoundral from P and P) is way off.  Edward Ferrars is unasuming, honest, shy and kind of bumbling where Wyckham is deceitful, slick, selfish, flirtatious and conniving.  Couldn't these two different casting directors coordinate their Austen men?  2 thumbs up to Hugh Grant in the first role. 

The only novel I have failed to mention is Mansfield Park.  It was just fine.  My sister says the movie is nothing like the book though, so I forwent watching the movie.  This is a good novel on the subject of propriety in young relationships, modesty and humility, and it has a pretty good story line too. 

I also read the Jane Austen Book Club and watched the recent movie Becomming Jane starring Anne Hathaway as Miss Austen (I thought she was good enough for the role, but I questioned whether she really appreciated Jane Austen enough to play her-- did she deserve to have this role? I don't know...), along with the movie versions of Pride and Prejudice (the newer one, with Kiera Knightley--I'm waiting to watch my sister's copy of the BBC version again), Sense and Sensibility, Emma and Persuasion.  All very good, but they don't hold a candle to the books.  Now that my year with Miss Austen is complete I feel sad, like I'm saying goodbye to a good friend.  I've sort of been moping around at night unwilling to start another author, but upset I have no more Austen to read-- I think Cody's ready for me to move on from my imaginary friendships with Jane Austen's characters as he actually picked out a new book for me to read the other night.  I suppose I'll have to start it soon.  In the meantime, please feel free to chime in on any of the above judgments--I'd love to hear another perspective!

3 comments:

Denise said...

Actually, I really enjoy the movie Mansfield Park (the one with Jonny Lee Miller) and also the new Emma miniseries (also with Jonny Lee Miller) and also a movie called Miss Austen Regrets (better than Becoming Jane). (Stay away from the new Persuasion and Mansfield Park that were on PBS a few years ago!)

steph said...

I've got the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice. It's one of my favorite's. You can borrow it anytime that you may need a Jane Austen fix. :)

from Katie- said...

I was just looking to pick up Sense and Sensibility again and happened upon this blog. I think S and S has become my favorite because it has all of the things the others have: plot, thinking characters, fluffy characters, family bonds that support and in many ways, define the main characters. What I love about Austen is that she is able to paint characters who have a sense of their own worth and she is able to pit these up against characters with less depth so that it leads you to think on your own life with more care.
Thanks for the post.