Monday, November 7, 2011

I Need Help


I somehow got through college without caffeine.  Of course I'd have the occassional Mountain Dew (Code Red) here and there during finals or before a big night out, but as for the daily cup of joe-- I totally did without.  HOWEVER, for about the last 7 years, I have been in a major battle with caffeine.  I started drinking coffee when I started dating Cody (to be honest, I usually enjoyed a cup a day when I worked at Wachovia before law school) because he did, and it smelled really good, and we walked by Starbucks every day on the way to school.  Then it was fun having a warm cup of coffee with him in the cold, snowy South Bend afternoons when you had nothing but pages of reading to look forward to for the rest of the day.

Coffee (and caffeine in other forms) became like a drug to me.  Oh wait, it is a drug.  And I am addicted.  Cody always tells me to just accept it, yet I've never been comfortable with such a needy dependance on it (or anything for that matter).  So, for the last 7 years or so, I have been an addict, but an uncomfortable one.  Every few months I vow I'm going to kick the habit, but then I get a headache and Cody rolls his eyes and brews me another cup or hands me a Diet Coke.  I'm serious now though, I'm going to do it.  I'm healthy, I don't have to be at work early in the morning, and have the afternoon to take a power nap if needed.  Now is my time...I know it. I don't have to be a slave to this drug for the rest of my life--now is my chance to get out!

But, HOW?  HOW DO YOU GET OFF OF CAFFEINE?!!!  PLEASE---If you have done this---please give me some advice.  Leave a comment, email, call, whatever... what can I do?   Right now I'm on about 1-2 cups in the morning plus a caffeinated soda (or tea) in the afternoon.  More if I have a headache. How do I stop? 


5 comments:

missanlee said...

Start with drinking decaf. You'll still have the ritual of smelling the coffee, sipping the hot drink, getting warm but without the caffeine. After that you might be able to kick it all together. I personally only allow myself one cup in the morning, nothing more. Sweet sweet coffee. Good Luck! a.lee

vercfamily said...

Hey Erin,
My advice is to cut back gradually, to drink lots of water, and to realize that it is going to hurt a lot {headache} for the first few days but that it will eventually get better. It is kinda lame of me to give you this advice, as the most I ever had was a cup a day when I worked at coffee shops--I am sure it will be much tougher for you to give up than it was for me. The great thing is you can still enjoy the smell, the warmness, and the delicious taste sans the caffiene! I haven't had caffinated beverages in years, and I can honestly say I don't miss it at all.
You can do it! Keep me posted on your progress!!

Carrie Mofo said...

Talk to Dana Mofo about this one......she's seriously on the sauce. Seriously. I have been off the stuff for almost a year. I had a regular cup today and now my head is pounding. Back to decaf tomorrow. I'm with Vercfamily person---gradually start doing it.....do a "half caf" for your second cup for a while and see how it goes.....

Anonymous said...

I am totally addicted now as well. I owe baby #2 for that one! I get a headache when I skip a day, when I am in denial that I actually NEED it. Decaf is probably a good way to wean yourself. If it makes you feel better, I have fully accepted my addiction and love it!:)

Amy B

The Kummer Family said...

Oh, how I miss caffeine!!! With both pregnancies now I have quit cold turkey and wow was it awful. I still allow myself one cup on one of the weekend days because I miss it SO much! I would not recommend quitting cold turkey either because I got the worst headaches for about 2 weeks. I would try to start by just cutting down, maybe start by giving up caffeinated soda and then move to fewer cups of coffee and then to decaf. Good luck, I sure LOVE coffee and won't hesitate to go back to it!