Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Nifty Nicknames

So the other day after school Sean said the following to me:

"Mommy, my children (he refers to the children in his class as "my children") don't know how to say "-eee."  Because they can't say my whole name, they just call me 'Sean.'"

That is to say, they don't call him "Seannie" at school, and he was upset by this.  He then asked me to have a talk with his teacher about calling him Seannie instead of Sean (because its his whole name).  I had the requested talk, and he came home and reported that the teacher did just fine, except she forgot one time at lunch and called him "Sean." 

This got me thinking about how fun nicknames are-- they give you a special connection with your child/spouse/friend that makes that person feel special and worthy of your creative thoughts.  My dad calls my sister's husband (Michael Crews) M.C. Hammer.  My uncles regularly call Cody "Code Red" or "Zippy" (short for Zip Code) or "Agent Cody Banks."  Our Cousin Brendan has gone by "Soup" for years, which is short for Super Man, just because his parents think he's super. 

While Seannie usually just goes by Seannie (or, when he was talking in 3rd person, he would go by "SeannieSeannie" which we still like to use), Jamesie's names around this house have gotten pretty creative. For posterity sake, here's a list of all the names you are likely to hear him called on any given day around our house:

Jamesie (duh)
Mames (this is how Sean pronounced his name when he was a baby)
Mamesie (see above)
Mimzy
Mimzer
Jimmer (developed during last year's March Madness tournament)

We love our little Seannie and Mimzy!

Mames, Coburg and Seannie Seannie.

1 comment:

Denise said...

This is one of my favorite things that Sean has ever said...but of course that will probably happen again tomorrow.