Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Help! Is this Normal?


Sean suffers from the condition known as flat-head-due-to-back-sleeping. I know pediatricians have just started recommending back sleeping in the last few years and we all slept on our fronts and had nice round heads to show for it. All the mothers in my life who had front-sleeping babies can't stand Sean's head! And this is a C-Section head!


Other new moms out there-- do your babies have flat heads like this too? Am I to take solace knowing that there will be at least one generation of flat-headed babies and Sean will have classmates with similar headshape? Does it get round again at some point? Or is Sean in a football-head league of his own? Help!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin - and cutest flat headed baby ever! (AKA Sean Brendan)

I found a couple articles & thought you might like to take a look at them. There are a few more if you just google it. The advice I found was turning his head from side to side while he's asleep. Anyway, I think he'll be just fine (not that I have a baby and know) But when he can hold that head up, he can have tummy time, and trust me - Tim would love to join him anytime! We just have to get him his own "BOP" pillow! =)

PS - can't wait to see y'all this weekend!!! =)

Love, Meg

http://www.babyzone.com/askanexpert/flat-head-back-sleeping

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080614073959AA8oXLh

Erin said...

Wow thanks Meg! I am glad you are concerned with sean's pancake head too. He has a Boppy pillow but he loathes tummy time. He's a bit lazy in that he just likes to hang out on his back and look at people. Maybe Tim can practice tummy time with him this weekend? teach him some tricks to make it better.

Erin said...

By By the way, I like how that article starts "my four month old nephew has a flat head..." did you secretly write in to babyzone?

Katie said...

Just to let you know, there is nothing wrong with a misshapen head. It adds character;)

B-Mama said...

Erin, I would love to do a post on this over at Building Cathedrals. Would you mind? Email me and let me know!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin, came across your blog and would like to know if Sean flat head became round as he got older? Why i ask is because my baby boy also has flat head.