Thursday, February 24, 2011

Lunch with John Cougar Mellencamp

One of Sean's most frequent questions throughout the day (there are many) is "What this song about?"  Every song that comes on the iPod or the radio garners this question.  I've noticed some common answers: "A man who loves a lady very much," or "Jesus."

Listening to some tunes (*we have not downloaded new music on to our iPod since approximately the days of Napster and WinAmp skins*) at lunch yesterday when Sean started this conversation:

Sean: What's this song about?
Erin: A boy and a girl.  Listen, you'll hear their names.
Sean: Its about Jack and Diane!
Sean: Who made Jack and Diane?
Sean: God made Jack and Diane.  (yes the last 3 lines are all Sean--he has little convos to himself.)

Sometimes his question requires a little creativity on my part to honestly answer in a G-rated way.  Still on the same album that the above song came from:

Lyric: "I need a lover that won't drive me crazy...someone to thrill me, and then go away...I need a lover that won't drive me crazy... someone who knows the meaning of 'hey, hit the highway'"
Sean: What this song about?
Erin: Hmmm... umm.... a lover.   A man who wants a lover.  A man who wants a wife.  The man is looking for a wife to love very much.  A man is a husband and a lady is a wife.  A daddy is a husband, and a mommy is a wife, and that is what a lover is."
Sean: Mommy is a wife?

I can only imagine me trying to explain a few other "big" questions in the next few years.

1 comment:

Denise said...

He got it! He's such a little inquisitive intellectual.