Thursday, September 1, 2011

Second Child Syndrome

I have this awful fear that because Jamesie is a second child, no one will ever take pictures of him, or notice him, or talk about him, or fawn over how cute he is.  I fear that he doesn't walk at nearly 17 months because I pay too much attention to Sean, and he has next to no words because I don't work on language with him. In reality he has no reason to walk because Sean gets him anything he wants, and he has no reason to talk (or sign) because Sean tells me anything he needs ("Mommy, Jamesie dropped his milk.  Mommy Jamesie wants more food.  Mommy, I think Jamesie is tired and wants to see Frogger.").  I need to remember that every child develops at his own pace, Jamesie does not read "What to Expect the First Year," so he doesn't know when he's "supposed to" crawl, and that I cannot control his pace of development. 

I can however, control how many pictures are taken of him, and I will admit that sometimes I go a little overboard trying to compensate for my fear of no one taking pictures of him (if it is my fault he doesn't walk, at least he'll look back and say, wow, you really thought I was cute.):

Super cute...who, me?

Yes, I do think you are super cute, and most days I can't stop kissing you!


Mother!  I love you too!




Jamesie did finally learn how to go up stairs this week-- apparently that was on a developmental checklist for 12-15 months, so I feel like 16 months isn't too bad, right? The only problem is he doesn't know how to go down them yet, and I keep forgetting to close the babygate (we haven't had to use it in so long I take it for granted!)

1 comment:

CurtisKids said...

Just remember that I did not crawl until 14 months, or walk until 18 :) Carson still does not roll with any regularity...to each their own I say! In fun news though...Carson started crawling during the hurricane! He figured there was not much else to do with no power! Can't believe we were in Charleston a year ago...what a great trip it was!