Friday, May 27, 2011

The Sweetest Thing...

5 years.  Wow.  And look what we've done:

It just keeps getting better-- because of big things like babies and weddings, but also because of the little things that keep us growing closer-- becoming better friends, better parents, better people everyday because of each other.  Bringing eachother coffee in the morning, packing a lunch with a special treat in it, knowing eachother's moods without ever talking about it, shamelessly watching American Idol together every week (even though we swore we wouldn't), sharing a joke with just a look across a whole room of people.  Its really fun, and its only getting better. 

And my husband keeps getting better.  He took charge of the boys all weekend during the wedding while I was off tending Sister.  Every time I came back after hours away the boys were fed, dressed, changed and ready for a nap or already asleep--without me saying "there's X, Y, or Z in the fridge for them to eat--- their diapers are on the bed-- J has a little rash-- I laid out a sweatshirt in case he gets cold...etc etc" It was just done, by my handsome man.  The sense of relief and security of having Cody there with the boys just made me fall in love with him even more. 

Then, after being on his A+ game all week, he dropped the 5-year-anniversary bomb on me first thing this morning: 2 tickets to the U2 concert in Baltimore next month.  WHAT!!!??????  We saw U2 together in Chicago 6 years ago, and at the time we ranked that day as one of the best of our lives (the concert was preceded by a dinner at Chipotle...yesss).  That rank was quickly supplanted by our engagement, wedding, sean's birth, james' birth, etc, but I would still put it in our top 10.  Cody got these tickets months ago, and since then he has said about 3 or 4 times, "do you think we'll ever have a chance to see U2 again?" and I would wistfully say "maybe one day...who knows...at least we got to see them once." 

I am amazed, I am in love, and it is fantastic!  Glory to God for giving us this unbelievable vocation.

2 comments:

vercfamily said...

Happy Anniversary! ...and Baltimore is only a few hours from us!! Are you driving/flying? Do you need some place to stay? We can watch the babies! :)

Denise said...

Great picture. I would love to know what Sean is looking at.